feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Life and Death

Labels: ,

This week has been a peculiar one. Today, my aunt threw Julie a post-birth baby shower (or a "welcome to the world" party for Andrew). It was a celebration of a new life - a new start. It was an incredible blessing that my family bestowed upon us. We were richly blessed to day with everything that we received. And having Andrew and this new life has reminded me of just how awesome and precious life is.

But as we geared up for this party and celebration, I was also reminded of how short and fleeting life is as 4 people that I have a connection to passed away this last week. First, the head usher at my church and a very dear friend to so many passed away of a brain tumor that was only discovered a week prior. Second, old friends of my parents and people I currently go to church with lost their son-in-law. I don't know anymore details other than he just collapsed on a cruise and died. Thirdly, a friend and co-worker of mine lost his sister to a long, long battle with cancer. She had been recovering, but took a turn for the worse last week and died on Thursday morning. And lastly, my wife's uncle and my mother-in-laws only brother died after a month long battle with cancer. It's crazy to think that he was only diagnosed at the beginning of January .

For some of these, I truly believe that their death is a celebration as they pass into eternal glory. For some, I pray for the mercy and grace that only God can give. Judgment is not mine to pass and I truly pray of each family to be able to cope and have peace in these troubled times.

All this simply reminds me of what James 4:14 in the Bible says, "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." We are guaranteed nothing. We must cherish the very breath that God grants us.



1 comments:
gravatar
Kevin said...
January 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

Crazy man.

Post a Comment